If you see us as equal, but different and do not include us in the decisions that affect our lives you will see us as your disabled client.
If you get out of our way and we have the opportunity to gather power and knowledge over OUR own lives we will become strong and successful.
People First is an organization of People with developmental disabilities who are learning to work together on how to find their voice.
Using different tools such as peer mentoring, we discover our true identity by living, working, and making new friendships.
We embrace our rights and responsibilities that we meet each and every day when making decisions. These challenges strengthen our commitment to educate our neighbors on who we are.
- To find our voices
- To stand up for ourselves and our peers
- Leadership skills
- To run our own meetings
- Our identity and history
- To make system wide changes
- To be involved in our local neighborhoods
- How to make friends
- To organize chapter functions and conventions
- How the political system works
- Respect and kindness for each other